|Maps and Building Data
Click on the numbers and letters for images and more information.
For more information on historic districts and their boundaries, click here.
|LW!'s Designation Wish List
|A. 251 West 71st Street, between Amsterdam and West End (1924, Herts & Tallant)
B. Level Club, 253 W. 73rd St. between Broadway and WEA (1927, Clinton & Russell)
C. First Baptist Church, Broadway and 79th St. (1894, George Keister)
D. Broadway Fashion Building, Broadway and 84th St. (1930-31, Sugarman & Berger)
||E. The Hohenzollern, WEA and 84th St. (1902, John Scharsmith)
F. Euclid Hall, 2345 Broadway between 85th and 86th Streets (1900, Hill and Turner)
G. West Park Presbyterian Church, Amsterdam Avenue and 86th St. (1884, Leopold Eidlitz; 1890, Henry Kilburn)
H. Astor Court, Broadway between 89th and 90th Streets (1914-16, Charles A. Platt)
||I. The Cornwall, Broadway and 90th St. (1909-10, Neville and Bagge)
J. The Cliff Dwelling , 243 RSD at 96th St. (1914, Herman Lee Meader)
K. St. Michael's Church, Amsterdam Ave and 99th St. (1891, Robert W. Gibson)
L. West End Presbyterian Church, Amsterdam Ave and 105th St. (1891, Henry Kilburn)
||M. P.S. 165, 234 W. 109th St. between Broadway and Amsterdam Ave
(1900, C.B.J. Snyder, ca.)
|Upper West Side Landmarks
||12. Dakota Apts, 1 W. 72 St. (1880-84, Henry J. Hardenbergh)
13. & 14. Central Savings Bank and Interior, now Apple Bank for Savings
2100 B'way (1926-28, York & Sawyer)
15. Ansonia Hotel, 2109 B'way (1899-04, Paul. E.M. Duboy)
16. San Remo Apts, 145-146 CPW (1929-30, Emery Roth)
17. Beacon Theater (interior), 2124 B'way (1927-28, Walter W. Ahlschlager)
18. New-York Historical Society, 170 CPW (1903-08, York & Sawyer;
wings, 1937-38, Walker & Gilette)
19. Belleclaire Hotel, 250 W. 77 St. (1901-03, Emery Roth)
20. West End Collegiate Church & School, WEA at 77 St. (1892-93, Robert
21. Apthorp Apts, 2211 B'way (1906-08, Clinton & Russell)
22. American Museum of Natural History, CPW at 77 St. (1874-1935,
Vaux & Mould; Cady, Berg & See; Trowbridge & Livingstone; John R. Pope)
23. Theodore Roosevelt Memorial Hall (1931-34, John R. Pope)
24. Beresford Apts, 211 CPW (1928-29, Emery Roth)
25. 103, 104, 105, & 107-109 RSD, & 332 W. 83 St. Houses
26. Red House, 350 W. 85 St. (1903-04, Harde & Short)
||27. 316, 318, 320, 322, 324, & 326 W. 85 St. Houses (1892, Clarence True)
28. 329, 331, 333, 335, & 337 W. 85 St. Houses (1890-91, Ralph Townsend)
29. Leech House, 520 WEA (1892, Clarence True)
30. Belnord Apts, 225 W. 86 St. (1908-09, H. Hobart Weekes)
31. Church of St. Paul & St. Andrew, 540 WEA (1895-97, R. H. Robertson)
32. Normandy Apts, 140 RSD (1938-39, Emery Roth)
33. Isaac L. Rice House, 346 W. 89 St. (1901-03, Herts & Tallant)
34. Soldiers & Sailors Monument, RSD at 89 St.
(1897-1902, Stoughton & Stoughton with Paul E. M. Duboy)
35. Claremont Stables, now the Claremont Riding Academy, 175 W. 89 St.
(1892, Frank A. Rooke)
36. El Dorado Apts, 300 CPW (1929-31, Margon & Holder with Emery Roth)
37. Trinity School, including the former St. Agnes Parish House, 139 W. 91 St.
(School, 1893-94, Charles C. Haight; Parish House, 1888-92, William A. Potter)
38. 3-22 Pomander Walk, 261-267 W. 94 St., 260-274 W. 95 St. (1921, King & Campbell)
39. Charles A. Vissani House, 143 W. 95 St. (1889, James W. Cole)
40. 354 & 355 CPW Houses (1892-93, Gilbert A. Schellenger)
41. First Church of Christ, Scientist, 1 W. 96 St. (1899-03, Carrere & Hastings)
||42. Midtown Theater, now the Metro Theater, 2626 B'way (1932-33, Boak &
43. New York Free Circulating Library, now the Ukranian Academy of Arts &
Sciences, 206 W. 100 St. (1898, James B. Lord)
44. Baumgarten House, 294 RSD (1900-01, Schickel & Ditmars)
45. 854, 856, 858 WEA & 254 W. 102 St. Houses (1892-93, Schneider &
46. Marseilles Hotel, 2689-2693 B'way (1902-05, Harry A. Jacobs)
47. Master Building, 310 RSD (1928-29, Harvey Wiley Corbett)
48. Association Residence for Respectable Aged Indigent Females, now the NYC American Youth Hostel, 891 Amst. (1881-83, Richard Morris Hunt; addition, 1907-08, Charles A. Rich)
49. New York Cancer Hospital, later the Towers Nursing Home, 455 CPW
(1884-86, Charles C. Haight)
50. Schinasi House, 351 RSD (1907-09, William B. Tuthill)
51. P.S. 166, 132 W 89 St (1897-98, Charles B.J. Snyder)
52. East River Savings Bank, 96th & Amst (1927, Walker & Gillette)
53. New York Cab Company Stable, 318-330 Amsterdam Ave (1888-1890,
C. Abbot French & Company)
54. Former Horn & Hardart Automat, 2712 Broadway (F.P. Platt & Brother,
|1. IRT Subway (interiors), portions of stations at 59th St.-Columbus Circle,
72 St., 79 St.,and 110 St.-Cathedral Pkwy (1904, Heins & LaFarge)
2. Sofia Brothers Warehouse, now the Sofia Apts,
43 W. 61 St. (1929-30, Jardine, Hill & Murdock)
3. Century Apts, 25 CPW (1931, Irwin S. Chanin)
4. New York Society for Ethical Culture, 2 W. 64 St. (1909-10, Robert D. Kohn)
5. First Battery Armory, now the ABC, Inc., Studios, 56 W. 66 St.
(1900-03, Horgan & Slattery)
6. Shearith Israel Synagogue, 99 CPW (1896-97, Brunner & Tryon)
7. Dorilton Apts, 171 W. 71 St. (1900-02, Janes & Leo)
8. Subway Kiosk, B'way and 72 St. (1904, Heins & LaFarge)
9. Chatsworth Apts and Annex, 340 & 344 W. 72 St.
(1902-06, John E.
10. Prentiss House, 1 RSD (1899-1901, C.P.H. Gilbert); Kleeberg House,
3 RSD (1896-98, C.P.H Gilbert); Diller House, 309 W. 72 St.
Gilbert A. Schellenger);
Sutphen House, 311 W. 72 St. (1901-02, C.P.H.
11. Majestic Apts, 115 CPW (1930-31, Irwin S. Chanin)
|Upper West Side - Central Park West (designated 1990)
The district evokes the distinctive qualities of the Upper West Side, from
its powerful iconography of twin towers along Central Park West to its active
commerce along Columbus Ave. to its residential side streets. The district
is defined by a large concentration of architecturally significant buildings
erected during the fifty years between the opening of the Ninth Avenue
Elevated in 1879 (along what is now Columbus Ave.) and the Great
Depression. During this period of rampant speculative development,
hundreds of rowhouses were built on the side streets between Central
Park West and Amsterdam Ave., while French flats and tenements were
constructed along Amsterdam and Columbus Ave. and on the adjoining
streets. A few grand apartment houses were built early in this period, but
most date to the turn of the century when the neighborhood's great Beaux-Arts
buildings were erected. In the 1920s, many large apartment houses and
apartment hotels were built with Central Park West's twin tower buildings
appearing at the end of the decade and into the early 1930s. Through this
entire span of development, important institutions - museums, churches
and synagogues - made their way to the residential mix. Click here for boundaries.
Central Park West - West 73rd-74th Streets (1977)
This square block contains some of the finest residential design on the
Upper West Side. The earliest buildings in the district are 18 rowhouses
on 73rd St., which survive from a row of 28 designed by Henry J. Hardenbergh
in 1882-85 for Edward Clark. Their style is compatible with the nearby Dakota
Apartments (1880-84) also designed by Hardenbergh for Clark. Clark's
grandson, developed much of 74th St. (1902-04) with a long row of
neo-Georgian houses. In 1902 the Clarks sold the Central Park West frontage
and the elegant, Beaux-Arts detailed Langham Apartments (1904-07) was erected. Click here for boundaries.
||Central Park West - 76th Street (1973)
This was one of the first areas of the Upper West Side to receive
landmark protection. Rowhouse construction began on 76th Street
in 1887; by 1900, 44 had been built in the district. The district retains examples of four building types common to the Upper West Side
at the turn-of-the-century: A Beaux-Arts style apartment house, the
Kenilworth (1906-08); the neo-Gothic Church of the Divine Paternity
(now Fourth Universalist Society (1897-98)); the
New-York Historical Society (1903-08 & 1937-38); and an
residence, the Studio Building (1907-09) at 44 West 77th Street.
building form consisted of two-story artist's studios and
residential units. Click here for boundaries.
West End - Collegiate (1984)
Named for the nearby West End Collegiate Church at 77th and
Ave., this district consists primarily of speculative
rowhouses built in the last
years of the 19th century by some
of the city's most talented rowhouse architects, including C.P.H.
Gilbert, Lamb & Rich and Clarence True. They created blocks with
a blend of Italian, French, Flemish Renaissance and other sylistic
forms. In the first decades of this century several apartment houses
were built in the district reflecing the decline in rowhouse
values rose and apartment living became
for affluent New
Yorkers. Click here for boundaries.
West 71st Street (1989)
This small district sitting on a quiet cul-de-sac features 33
built in six groups between 1893 and 1896, a
(1903-04), and an apartment building (1924).
The block's cohesive
quality comes from the uniform use of
on the rowhouses. Click here for boundaries.
||Riverside Drive - West 80th-81st Streets (1985)
This district illustrates the early residential development of the
West End section. In 1891 Charles Israels
row of five
for 81st St.
in a style combining
Revival and neo-
years later, he
designed a row for 80th St. At the
end of the
another wave of
construction brought several
townhouses on and
Riverside Drive by the
flats went up on 80th
in 1926, one of True's houses was
19-story neo-Classical apartment building. Click here for boundaries.
Riverside Drive-West End (1989)
Because it was located at a distance from the Elevated on
End area developed somewhat
later than areas nearer
district began in earnest in 1887,
rising along West
End Ave. and the side
streets for the next
years. Early in the 20th century, elegant
such as the
Evanston (1910) and the Chautauqua
(1911) began to
arrive, many replacing
the earlier rowhouses.
After 1920 the
truly important apartment
houses came to
culminating in The Normandy (1939). Click here for boundaries.
||Riverside Drive - West 105th Street (1973)
This small district consists of residences erected between 1899-1902.
The cohesiveness of the district's rowhouses and townhouses is due
to the brief construction span; the use of English basements and
common materials, predominantly limestone; the exuberant Beaux-
Arts detail; and restrictive covenants. These covenants, requiring
buildings of "suitable character" to benefit the neighborhood, limited
construction to single-family houses and encouraged the use of
architectural detail and high quality materials. Click here for boundaries.
Manhattan Avenue Historic District (2007)
This quiet neighborhood enclave west of Central Park West is
brick and stone rowhouses featuring terra-cotta trim,
fine ironwork, intact
stoops, elaborate cornices, gargoyles and
sunburst motifs. Development
of the proposed district began in
1885, was completed by 1890 and features the
work of prominent
New York architects, including E.L. Angell, J.M. Dunn and
C.P.H. Gilbert. Click here for boundaries.